Thursday, December 16, 2010

Glassblowing Created by Andrew Lupton


This collection of glass features a yellow bowl, a blue bottle, and a green cactus. The yellow bowl is a blown piece made by forming a bubble. The bubble is then opened up with a tong-like tool called “the Jacks”. Next, a cylindrical shape is formed from the open bubble. Finally, the top edge of the cylindrical-shaped piece is smoothed out and shaped with the Jacks to make a lip on the bowl. I like the way that the bowl looks like a bowler hat when it is placed upside-down; it brings an aspect of everyday life into the collection.
The blown vase was made with a light blue colored glass.  The lip and neck of the vase were smoothed down to their shape with newspaper and a wooden paddle. My favorite parts about this piece are the color and shape of it.
The final piece, the cactus, was made with green and clear glass. I created the texture of the cactus by sticking pieces of the glass into a mold. I like the cactus because it has a fun, unique feeling to it, and I like the ridges in the glass.
I am very pleased with the many characteristics of this collection. Enjoy!

-Andrew





No comments:

Post a Comment