Wednesday, June 8, 2011

11:11 by Ashley Kulak

I wished on 11:11.  “The simplest thing you can do is act.”  That was my fortune.

Fortune cookies have an amazing knack for applying to your life.  Or maybe you just find the symbolism out of the trite.  Either way, it’s here.  My wish, that is.  What should I do about it, you ask?  Well, my fortune told me to act.  But my brain draws the lines in my forehead where my eyebrows raise in doubt.  But something pours from the inside, something hot, something that burns as it travels down my heart into my gut.  Yeah, pathos is strong.  Drives me.  Amplifies the tiniest tangible moment.  Gives my id the feed it needs.  Pause.  Logos smacks a stop sign in my face.  It hurts.  Sure, I remember how stupid it is.  Acting on my wish.  I remember what I cause when I get in media res.  So why wish it to start with?  “Everyone wants what they can’t have.”  I can’t believe I’m this trite.  Face palm.  But I remember the face.  The look in the eyes.  The one that says “give up on your logic because it will never work.”  The twitch of the mouth.  The tiny biting of the lip that says “I’m holding back, but not for long.”  The tiny laugh that escapes as a disguise.  The one that says “I’m hiding because I can’t read your mind.”  The glance away.  The one that is afraid to tell you what the face wants to scream.  The stare.  The one that gives it all away.  I can read your mind now.  Or at least your face.  Yeah, my wish is here.  It might not be here for long, but I want it while it’s still strong.  I wished on 11:11.  But it was going to happen all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment