Monday, June 6, 2011

Glassblowing by Andrew Lupton

 My collection features four pieces: there are two paperweights, a glass bulb (similar to a light bulb), and a cup. The cup is made of clear glass and along the sides you may notice that there are two bands of clear glass surrounding the piece. This was made by holding and turning the piece while touching hot glass to the already formed cup, creating the effect of draping bands. This effect was also used on the blue paperweight which has chunks of color rolled into it. To make the yellow and brown paperweight, I rolled color onto the glass and then put another layer of clear and colored glass on top. By using this technique, I was able to give the piece its depth. The glass bulb was originally a hot liquid mass which I rolled color onto and blew out into a spherical shape. After the sphere had cooled, I molded some glass on top of the piece in a different spot to form the ring. I hope you enjoy this month's collection!

Glasswork & Writing: Andrew Lupton
Photography: Jack Sampson










No comments:

Post a Comment